Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BartPE File Management Utility
The CD Forum > Bart's PE Builder > Plugins
wyocowboy
Is there a better File Manager available than A43 v2.37? I am running BartPE 3.13 and using A43 is a PITA. It has the following shortcomings that affect is usability when using BartPE to treat malware infections...

1 - frequently locks up when trying to navigate. I launch taskmgr and see two instances
instead of the one that shows up when it is functioning. Killing one of them kills both and then I can relaunch it.

2. no way to change the right-pane format to show a file list with details, hence no way to sort by date or size. Both of these sorts are useful when treating malware infections.

I have thought about playing with the environment to see if it will run any better (avoid the hangs) from the ramdisk - anyone tried that?
1kyle
QUOTE (wyocowboy @ Aug 17 2005, 08:39 PM)
Is there a better File Manager available than A43 v2.37? I am running BartPE 3.13 and using A43 is a PITA. It has the following shortcomings that affect is usability when using BartPE to treat malware infections...

1 - frequently locks up when trying to navigate. I launch taskmgr and see two instances
instead of the one that shows up when it is functioning. Killing one of them kills both and then I can relaunch it.

2. no way to change the right-pane format to show a file list with details, hence no way to sort by date or size. Both of these sorts are useful when treating malware infections.

I have thought about playing with the environment to see if it will run any better (avoid the hangs) from the ramdisk - anyone tried that?

Try the XPE plugin (Explorer Shell ) or some of the other shells available.

XPE gives a reasonably "Windows Like" GUI.

Cheers
-K
airburst
You risk getting some fairly emotive answers, but for what it's worth I've tried most of them (like many folks here, I'm sure) and the one I've had as resident manager for the last 6 months is 2xExplorer.

No lockups experienced and you can certainly view details in either pane. It does run 2 panes plus a folder view by default, so not the most flexible in appearance, but I have it launch to display main target HD and ramdisk in panes, which suits most of my work. Very small (single exe) and fast to load. Oh yeah - and freeware, albeit officially dead and replaced by Xplorer2.
sanbarrow

Fun starts when you copy A43 to ramdrive and use a customized ini.
I have seen no lockups and I have no problems to get the view I need.
Text-editor and picture-preview are working fine.

I thought A43 was crap before I tried it from ramdrive - no I know better.

Ulli
mbarnes
Is there a better File Manager available than A43 v2.37? The latest is V2.45 (July/Aug 2005)

frequently locks up when trying to navigate.

I do not have this problem, it seems very reliable.

no way to change the right-pane format to show a file list with details, hence no way to sort by date or size.

Yes there is. Try under real Win XP at 800x600 resolution and when correctly configured save ini file for use in plugin.

It does not need to be copied to RamDrive B: to work correctly.

Unless you have an Explorer plugin several dll's have to be registerd or you will not be able see the size of all files in a directory
(most explorer plugins register these files)

CODE
rem probably registered by Explorer plugin
start /wait regsvr32 /s /i %windir%\system32\shell32.dll
start /wait regsvr32 /s %windir%\system32\lang.dll
start /wait regsvr32 /s /i %windir%\system32\browseui.dll
start /wait regsvr32 /s %windir%\system32\msxml.dll
start /wait regsvr32 /s /i %windir%\system32\mshtml.dll
start /wait regsvr32 /s /i %windir%\system32\shdocvw.dll

with one of several Explorer plugin you can use Windows Explorer as a file manager

regards
Mike Barnes
FileCity
Other stable file managers are :

A43
ExplorerXP
Pablo Commander
Total Commander

For me, all working fine (but not all free)...
midas
I believe you should register mlang.dll not lang.dll, at least if you are using US english install CD
sage03sxt
stay with a43. make it run from a ram drive and it'll be fine. I know the folder list icons are messed up but i've messed around with a bunch of file managers and have discovered the a43 seems to handle context menu's better then the rest

in case i'm not being to clear on what i mean. in a43 when i right click a file i see options for 7zip , irfanview, etc, I can't seem to make those menu's work in other file managers.

of course your mileage may vary smile.gif

SaGE
McBain
There are some more nice Explorer replacements:

- Gyula Navigator
- Servant Salamander 1.52
- TrackerV3 (free for personal use) <- recommended
- Turbo Navigator
- Windows File Explorer (http://www.freesoftlabs.com)
samplempg
why not try xplorer2 ? it is grand version of 2xexplorer. FAST and STABLE. With xplorer2 + Bardpe i can backup files faster than normal windows enviroement.
powaking
Try out Freecommander. Has built in zip and rar viewing as well as image viewing. Dual pane and all. And best part its free.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.