First of all, my excuses for posting this here. But previous topics concerning booting XP into ram were also made here, so..
Anyway, I've read all posts about booting XP(e) into ram, but I don't seem to get there.
I'm trying to boot a reduced version of Windows XP SP2 (not the embedded!, nor an embedded image) from a ramdisk.
Basicly, I want to be able to dual boot between a standaard windows XP(e) installation and a reduced XP, booted from RAM.
These are the current steps I've done, starting from scratch:
- installed XPe SP2 on my primary hdd;
- created a primary partition on a secondary drive; about 1 gig in size.
- Installed Nlite'd windows XP on secondary hdd; took about 600 MB with all drivers & patches installed. NTFS compression made it around 400 MB, reduced partition size to about 480 mb (paging disabled etc). I can boot this windows version if its the primary hdd, so bootsector & bootloader are installed on the second hdd. (So on this windows my C: drive is the nlited version, d: is the XPe windows)
- Switched back to my XPe drive, where d: is the nlited version. There, I create a SDI image of the D: partion, with following commands:
cscript "C:\Program Files\Windows Embedded\utilities\SDIMgr.wsf" c:\winnl.sdi /new
cscript "C:\Program Files\Windows Embedded\utilities\SDIMgr.wsf" c:\winnl.sdi /readpart:d:
So, winnl.sdi is around 480m in size.
- Added following line to my boot.ini on the XPe windows (wich is the default OS on my system):
ramdisk(0)\windows="XP RamDisk" /rdpath=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnl.sdi /rdimageoffset=4096
- restarted; in bootmenu selected XP RamDisk; image loads in memory, XP Nlited starts to boot!
Offcourse, while 1 second loading winlite, BSOD - 0x0000007b .
I did not change anything except the things mentioned above, so no custom ntldr or other stuff.
Allright, I was kinda glad it showed me the winXP logo and the loading bar. But I can't fix the BSOD,
so any suggestions would be most apreciated
Some things I tried, that didn't help:
- Injecting the blob & load in the sdi image as described in the msdn article:
cscript "C:\Program Files\Windows Embedded\utilities\SDIMgr.wsf" c:\winnl.sdi /import:BOOT,0,startrom.com
cscript "C:\Program Files\Windows Embedded\utilities\SDIMgr.wsf" c:\winnl.sdi /import:LOAD,0,ntldr
After loading the sdi image; I got an error "cannot find <windir>\system32\ntkrnl32.exe"
- using the boot.ini described on msdn on my nlite installation:
ramdisk(0)\WINDOWS="Windows From RAM" /fastdetect
- installing the XPe tools on the nlite partition
- installing RAM disk driver (from windows 2k3 SP2) on the XP nlite (didn't change anything)
Right; so I've got a few other options but i don't really know where to start or why:
- using ntldr, ntdetect and other files from Windows server 2003 SP1 (but where should I place them?)
- Installing other ram disk driver (eg is there one from XPe that I could use?)
- Installing the ram disk driver not via "add hardware" but ..?
- set xp lite to use only 1.5 gig mem (/maxmem).
Any ideas welcome!
Thnx in advance,