Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: XP Install Disc including SP1,2,3 & all updates for simple reinsta
The CD Forum > The CD Forum > Bootable CDs
peterlo
Hi,
I am new here & should say, that having read widely on the forum, it is clear that my level of know how must rate as low.
I am a PC user, & only attempt diagnosis or repair as & when needed. I know from experience that I must keep things simple.

My OS is XP Pro with SP3 with all udates, security patches etc.
1 GHz P3 CPU, 512 Mb RAM, Intel MB D815EEA, 40GB int HD, 320 Gb ext HD, Asus & Sony CD/DVD burners.

Problem background:
Attempting a complete HD re-format & new XP install; I discovered that neither CD reader would read without fault my original, legit, & apparently undamaged XP install CD.
After multiple attempts I eventually got XP loaded & apparently working without obvious faults.
Then I discovered the ongoing agony of multiple sequential dwwnlds from MS of SP1,2 & 3 plus about 350 updates.
All of this was attended work so I just had to sit there, it took ages even on cable.
Then I realised that at any time MS might choose "not to support" (maybe after release of OS 7) & if I wanted the dwnlds then I would be in trouble!!
Next during reinstall of the various programs I use, I found again serious difficulty reading my original Office 2000 CD's, again legit, & apparently undamaged. Office 2000 is "no longer supported", tough!!
Now my Asus CD/DVD burner is brand new & the Sony is about 3 years old, using a trial version of CD/DVD Diagnostic I see that both cannot read data files without some "hard errors".

It's becoming clear to me that the combination of older CD's & unreliable hardware is likely to rob me soon of my OS, although admittedly MS did offer a new XP CD for around $40 but without SP3.

So what I would like to do is:
1) Make an install disc for XP with all the update material included.
It can be a "cut down" version in English only if that helps the process, but it must install with no more complexity than the original XP CD.
Ideally I would like to see a substantially "unattended install", or at least limit the attendance to a few minutes at the start & finish.
Better still in view of CD &/or DVD read error possibilities I'd prefer to install from my external HD or even a memory stick.

2) Make an Office 2000 CD copy on my HD that can be used to reinstall O2K.
Is this a disc image issue & if so how simple can it be kept, I will be doing this sort of thing only rarely I hope.

Before asking for help to accomplish this I should ask how others deal with what I assume must be a reasonably common problem, & if the objective is achievable with modest skill levels?

Peter O
nuMe
Download the SP2 update and slipstream it with our original CD then download SP3 and slipstream it with the previous slipstreamed CD. That will save you a ton of updates the next time you do a fresh install. The use to be a utility called autostreamer that was good but it stopped being maintained after SP2. There is another called nlite which is still supported.

You should be able to do something similar with the Office CD.

I think XP support ends the end of this month but I won't swear to it.
jaclaz
Just for the record, when slipstreaming, SP3 is cumulative:
http://www.howtohaven.com/system/slipstrea...ce-pack-3.shtml

having SP1a or SP2 is only needed to install it to a working OS:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...p3/default.mspx

jaclaz
peterlo
Thanks nuMe & jaclaz,

I need to be sure I understand exactly what each of you is saying:

1) I can slipstream, as a newcomer to this process, & make a new XP install CD (or DVD?) by "adding" only SP2 & then SP3 to my original XP CD?
I'd prefer, if possible, to not CD/DVD media, so can this also be saved to a memory stick or to an external HD?
Without risking my present working OS install how could I test the result?
Can the large number of updates, that post date SP3, be slipstreamed in the same, or similar way?

2) SP3 is cumulative: I can't grasp the significance or implication, are not all SP's cumulative to the date of their release with the exception in nearly all cases of previous SP's (except I gather SP2 includes SP1/1a ??).
3) "SP1a & SP2 needed only to install to working OS"; again I don't get this, my objective would surely indicate a clear need to include both.

I do not normally read MS KB articles, because I have learned by experience, that I will end up wasting hours going from web page to web page & still remain uncertain about the issues. I think that's why so many people ask for help on sites such as yours.
For example is there any clear step by step process laid out anywhere on a MS website showing how to do the slipstreaming process simply & reliably?
I want to learn but not get involved in lengthy experimentation, if the process is difficult or tricky, I should maybe pay someone to do it, not waste hours/days as I have in the past, on other "straightforward" procedures. I'm trying to be realistic & not get hopelessly out of my depth.

Peter O
Ed_P
QUOTE (peterlo @ Apr 6 2009, 08:31 PM) *
1) I can slipstream, as a newcomer to this process, & make a new XP install CD (or DVD?) by "adding" only SP2 & then SP3 to my original XP CD?

Yes. I believe the utility nLite does it rather conveniently. CDs are the easiest to create and once created you can look at copying them to an HD or USB.

As for testing, boot the pc with the CD in the drive and see if it boots and asks to be installed. Or backup your current system, reinstall from the new CD, test it, then restore your backup.

QUOTE (peterlo @ Apr 6 2009, 08:31 PM) *
Can the large number of updates, that post date SP3, be slipstreamed in the same, or similar way?

I believe nLite can handle that also.
paraglider
You don't need any utility to slipstream SP3 into an original XP source. The technology is built into the SP3 download. See:

for details
jaclaz
Cumulative means that you don't need to have previous SP slipstreamed.

In other words, nuMe suggestion was incorrect. ph34r.gif

If you have an original XP CD you can slipstream DIRECTLY SP3 to it, without firstly slipstream SP2.

BUT:
if you have an original ("Gold") or SP1 XP installed on hard disk, you CANNOT update it to SP3, you need to install before either SP1a or SP2.

FYI:
http://hfslip.org/
http://hfslip.org/spacks.html

Slipstreaming works by replacing previous versions of a file with an updated file and/or adding some files.

SP3 contains ALL files modified in SP2 (and some new ones), SP 2 contains ALL files modified in SP1a (and some new ones), SP1a contains ALL files modified in SP1 (and some new ones), thus SP3 contains latest realease of ALL files modified in previous SP's (and some new ones).

Or if you prefer, slipstreaming:
SP3 to XP "Gold"
or
SP3 to XP Sp1
or
SP3 to XP SP1a
or
SP3 to XP SP2

Will ANYWAY result in a XP SP3 CD.

jaclaz
Ed_P
QUOTE (jaclaz @ Apr 7 2009, 08:46 AM) *
In other words, nuMe suggestion was incorrect. ph34r.gif

QUOTE (nuMe @ Apr 6 2009, 12:33 AM) *
Download the SP2 update and slipstream it with our original CD then download SP3 and slipstream it with the previous slipstreamed CD.

QUOTE (jaclaz @ Apr 7 2009, 08:46 AM) *
if you have an original ("Gold") or SP1 XP installed on hard disk, you CANNOT update it to SP3, you need to install before either SP1a or SP2.

blink.gif
You both look to be saying the same thing to me. You added a caveat but both directions will result in a working updated CD.

BTW Happy to see the earthquake didn't knock you off the air, or earth. happy62.gif
jaclaz
QUOTE (Ed_P @ Apr 7 2009, 03:01 PM) *
blink.gif
You both look to be saying the same thing to me. You added a caveat but both directions will result in a working updated CD.

BTW Happy to see the earthquake didn't knock you off the air, or earth. happy62.gif

No, Ed_P.

As said a XP CD "Gold" can be slipstreamed DIRECTLY to SP3, WITHOUT previously slipstreaming ANY previous SP.

It is UNNEEDED to slipstream to a XP "Gold" CD a SP2 and THEN slipstream to the resulting CD or .iso image a SP3, as the latter can be made directly.

An installed XP INSTEAD needs to be at least SP1a in order to be updated to SP3. The result of this latter will be an updated installed OS, NOT an updated CD.

jaclaz
peterlo
Thanks everyone,

This issue is now much clearer to me, thanks to all your input.
I am at the point right now of slipstreaming using the very clear instructions at:
Actually I read several of their related how-to's & that helped also.
My CD reader seems to have read (IE without reported error) my original XP CD (circa 2000) so I guess I will soon have a a slipstreamed XP+SP3 on my HD.
I would still like advice on how to also slipstream the various updates that post date SP3.
Is this a matter of downloading the updates, & if so should I make the selections on release date basis, then, how do I organise the updates so the slipstream command will work.

Any further detailed help much appreciated.

Peter O
peterlo
Hi again,

Well I spoke too soon, I cannot get the file integration command to work:

"From the command prompt window, which will be a black window with a blinking cursor, type the following, followed by the ENTER key.
C:\XPSP3 /integrate:C:\XPSETUP
Note that there is only one space character -- between the "C:\XPSP3" and the rest of the line.
If you did not name the service pack "XPSP3.exe" and place it at the top level of C: as I described earlier, you'll have to modify the command line accordingly".

I am following the instructions here:

I have been meticulous in following the instructions but continue to receive the msg:
"C:\XPSP3 is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file".
This possible msg is dealt with in the FAQ:

Q: "Why do I get the error "'C:\XPSP2' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"?
A: See the sentence 'For the purpose of this tutorial, I will assume you saved it as C:\XPSP2.EXE, that is, in the root folder with the filename "XPSP2.EXE"' in the article.
This answer I presume was entered before SP3 but the general drift is plain.

Point is I have saved the files:
XPSP3.exe
w2Ksect (a 2Kb BIN img file)
direct to Drive C, they have not been placed in any folder, I understood this was what was required.
Similarly I have created a folder on C Drive: XPSP3 which of course contains the SP3 dwnld.

I have no idea what I may have done wrong, or how I could have misread/misinterpreted such apparently simple instructions.
Can anyone help?

Peter O
chuckr
QUOTE (peterlo @ Apr 7 2009, 08:19 PM) *
I have been meticulous in following the instructions:

Point is I have saved the files:
XPSP3.exe
w2Ksect (a 2Kb BIN img file)
direct to Drive C, they have not been placed in any folder

I have no idea what I may have done wrong, or how I could have misread/misinterpreted such apparently simple instructions.
Can anyone help?

Peter O

Try this:
At the command prompt, type: C:

then type: cd \

then type: XPSP3.exe /integrate:C:\XPSETUP (Note no C:\ since you're already there, as the default directory... )

(See if that makes any difference)
Chuck R.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.