Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dos & Ram
The CD Forum > The CD Forum > Bootable CDs
thinasarake
Some considerable time past I created a Bootable CD using Barts setup. The CD included a Disk Image program that need to run in DOS. It has work great over all these years until I upgraded my 'puter and included 4gb ram. From that time on I started to get errors ubtil I removed 2gb ram. The CD stops when trying to create a RAM disk and I get xml errors.

My question now is this. Is there a problem with DOS being able to use more than 2gb ram?

bangin.gif
jaclaz
QUOTE (thinasarake @ Feb 14 2010, 03:41 PM) *
My question now is this. Is there a problem with DOS being able to use more than 2gb ram?

Then it is the "wrong" question. unsure.gif

DOS can work with 4 Gb allright, at the worse it won't see it or all of it.

The "right" questions are:
Why diskimage program xxxxxxx (<-fill the blanks) stopped working when I added 2 Gb of RAM?

Is it possible that the RAMDISK program yyyyyyyy (<-fill the blanks) which is used in the build is not compatible with 4 Gb of RAM?

If yes, is there a substitute/alternative/workaround for it you can suggest?

Or more plainly, how can I have diskimage program xxxxxxx (<-fill the blanks) working from CD on a 4 GB machine?

Now, post some details, and possibly also the autoexec.bat and the config.sys of the boot CD, and maybe hmm.gif we can find a solution, an alternative or a workaround. smile.gif

jaclaz
thinasarake
QUOTE (jaclaz @ Feb 14 2010, 03:04 PM) *
Then it is the "wrong" question. unsure.gif

DOS can work with 4 Gb allright, at the worse it won't see it or all of it.

The "right" questions are:
Why diskimage program xxxxxxx (<-fill the blanks) stopped working when I added 2 Gb of RAM?

Is it possible that the RAMDISK program yyyyyyyy (<-fill the blanks) which is used in the build is not compatible with 4 Gb of RAM?

If yes, is there a substitute/alternative/workaround for it you can suggest?

Or more plainly, how can I have diskimage program xxxxxxx (<-fill the blanks) working from CD on a 4 GB machine?

Now, post some details, and possibly also the autoexec.bat and the config.sys of the boot CD, and maybe hmm.gif we can find a solution, an alternative or a workaround. smile.gif

jaclaz

I have recreated the Boot CD qith the disk image program and I still get the same result. At boot I get the follwowing error message.
Windows XMS Driver vers 3.95
Extended memory Spec (XMS) Vers 3.0
Installed A20 Handler number 2
64k High mem available
Modboot v2.7
Autoexec: booted drive is a:
Autoexec: Setting up Ramdisk @ drive Q
XMS Ramdisk v1.91 (FU 08/98)
: XMS alloc error
Write fault error writing device AUX

Attached in a zip file is the config and autoexec files.

I do hope that I have given you enough information.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.