Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: moving temp files
The CD Forum > The CD Forum > Bootable CDs
Cremaster
Per my earlier comments on another thread I am trying to move all my data files to another partition so they will not be writing all over the partition that my windows xp is installed to. The graphic should explain what I think I should do. Am I about to make a horrible mistake or what? I am under the impression that windows will move the files to E:\ is that correct or not? If not I am sure that windows will not let me move some of the files. Can I move them with the command prompt or will I have to use some other product to move them. Thanks for your help. You should be able to click the thumb nail to see what I am planning on.

Another question if I may. My drive has been replaced with a drive of the same model. The system seems a bit slow. I installed windows xp from my recovery disk. Could I have missed a driver or something? I have SP3 installed and checked Device Manager and found no conflicts or question marks or the X marks.

Ed_P
QUOTE (Cremaster @ Jun 22 2010, 09:35 PM) *
Per my earlier comments on another thread I am trying to move all my data files to another partition so they will not be writing all over the partition that my windows xp is installed to. The graphic should explain what I think I should do. Am I about to make a horrible mistake or what? I am under the impression that windows will move the files to E:\ is that correct or not?

Unlike changing the My Documents setting Windows will not move the files currently in the temp/tmp folders. After changing the variables reboot and delete the files in the original folders.

Another question if I may. My drive has been replaced with a drive of the same model. The system seems a bit slow. I installed windows xp from my recovery disk. Could I have missed a driver or something? I have SP3 installed and checked Device Manager and found no conflicts or question marks or the X marks.

It is possible the original drivers are not the most current ones. Have you checked for updates?

It is possible the recovery disk restore enabled some background apps to run needlessly.

It is possible the C: drive needs to be defag'ed.

It is possible the pagefile is not on the C: drive and further away from the FAT delaying it's access.

It is possible the temp/tmp folder moves will have the same effect.

It is possible the pagefile is fragmented.

Many things can slow a pc down. It's hard to say which one/s you should look at first without knowing your system better.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.