Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tray to use NTLDR and hive SYSTEM for boot from CD
The CD Forum > The CD Forum > Bootable CDs
VV2006
Hi World once again! smile.gif
So, I want to present you the new method of PE-loading. (BTW, what's the difference between boot an load? ) Later I'll try to correct my errors, sorry my english please.

Fast Boot is not fast Food!

This Idea belongs to Alexey32 from forum.ru-board.com. Usually sequence is setupldr.bin (or it rename into ntldr) -> txtsetup.sif, setupreg.hiv -> forming SYSTEM hive in folder I386\SYSTEM32\CONFIG. There is difference between work setupldr.bin and ntldr. There is specific in work with it of ntdetect.com.
Detect hardware, it loading, forming base SYSTEM hive takes long time. Opposite, when used ntldr аnd pretranslated setupreg.hiv --> SYSTEM hive (txtsetup.sif here not needed in general), then boot time not so long.
After the additional import in hive SYSTEM same data, to avoid Bsod and for corrects work .
~~~~~~~~~
In more detail:
1. Building BartPE project, creating ISO image.
2. Make UFD (HDD) bootable (NT 5.x).
3. Make on UFD (HDD) folder MININT and then copy into content from PE-proects (or from ISO - here not difference) folder I386. (Or copy I386 with rename it to MININT.)
4. Copy files and others needed folders from root proects in root of UFD (HDD).
5. Copy with rename \I386\SYSTEM32\SETUPREG.HIV to \MININT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.
6. Extract from archives For_boot_ntldr.rar files srv_txtset.cmd and srv_txtset.reg to \MININT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\ and then run srv_txtset.cmd.
Litle changed srv_txtset.cmd:
CODE
rem VV2006 -- for other project folders names-- copy /y "BartPE\I386\SYSTEM32\SETUPREG.HIV" "BartPE\I386\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"
REG LOAD HKLM\t SYSTEM
regedit /s srv_txtset.reg
REG UNLOAD HKLM\t

7. srv_txtset.cmd and srv_txtset.reg may now be deleted.
8. Extract from archives For_boot_ntldr.rar boot.ini and ntdetect.com in root dir of UFD (HDD).
9. Copy in the UFD (HDD) root other needed files (ntldr, Bootfont.bin).

That is all. Boot time PE decrease.
~~~~~~~~~
This method perfectly worked with USB, HDD. All is Ok and no problem.

For CD boot with this method you need change content ISO: grldr as bootfile, folder name I386 only (with hive SYSTEM in 1386\SYSTEM32\CONFIG as well), in root placed menu.lst and new boot.ini.

My menu.lst:
CODE
timeout 1
title - FastPE (ntldr)
find --set-root /NTLDR
chainloader (cd)/NTLDR

My boot.ini:
CODE
[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)cdrom(224)\I386
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)cdrom(224)\I386="CD on Primary Channel" /fastdetect /minint /HAL=HALMACPI.DLL /KERNEL=NTKRNLMP.EXE
multi(0)disk(0)cdrom(239)\I386="CD on Secondary Channel" /fastdetect /minint /HAL=HALMACPI.DLL /KERNEL=NTKRNLMP.EXE
C:\grldr="Grub"

But where is reason of unsuccessful boot from CD?
Chain of load here: grldr as bootfile -->ntldr -->boot.ini --> NT Kernel --> system. Then appears Windows XP logo an then BSoD 0x7b. Why XP lost at this step bootable device? What and where I need correct in reg?
Or is this metod principle impossible in case with CD? What are you thinking about?
Help me pleаse!
nuMe
Apparently your new method requires write access to the system drive and on a cd that's not an option when booting. If you boot the iso, ie load it to ram, then it should work I would think.
FM_81
QUOTE (VV2006 @ Aug 23 2010, 07:16 PM) *
... 6. Extract from archives For_boot_ntldr.rar files srv_txtset.cmd and srv_txtset.reg to \MININT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\ and then run srv_txtset.cmd. ...
Sorry, and may be I didn't understand it all correct - but where should we get For_boot_ntldr.rar from?

Greetings, FM_81
Bastian
QUOTE (FM_81 @ Aug 23 2010, 07:42 PM) *
Sorry, and may be I didn't understand it all correct - but where should we get For_boot_ntldr.rar from?

I suspect you download it from here.
VV2006
QUOTE (nuMe @ Aug 23 2010, 07:15 PM) *
Apparently your new method requires write access to the system drive and on a cd that's not an option when booting. If you boot the iso, ie load it to ram, then it should work I would think.

I agree what during the transition to protected mode PE will be need become access to boot device, from which the PE system is loaded. But (exact smile.gif) some PE (with Imdisk as RAM-disk) successful boot from CD with setupldr.bin!
Probably with ntldr and hives SYSTEM on CD boot process (boot sequence) require another (not same one) work with Boot Device drivers: CDFS, CDROM?
Maybe is it here needed to correct something in the hive SYSTEM? Something what exactly? hmm.gif
FM_81
Thanks Bastian.
The (to another language) translated side didn't show the "download-code-confirm-picture" for me; but the russian original-side has it included. thumbsup.gif

I don't unstand, why "VV2006" doesn't provide a direct-link about his stuff, or is it all so "very secret"?

Greetings, FM_81
VV2006
QUOTE (FM_81 @ Aug 24 2010, 02:10 AM) *
Thanks Bastian.
The (to another language) translated side didn't show the "download-code-confirm-picture" for me; but the russian original-side has it included. thumbsup.gif

I don't unstand, why "VV2006" doesn't provide a direct-link about his stuff, or is it all so "very secret"?

Greetings, FM_81

It's not secret! smile.gif Another link: For_boot_ntldr.rar (I don't unstand, why I can't attach file: Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload this type of file. RAR-archive disallowed? There is Restriction?)
Remember please, for CD Boot will be need use boot.ini from my first post (in CD case another arc path mast be used!).
Ed_P
QUOTE (VV2006 @ Aug 24 2010, 03:05 AM) *
(I don't unstand, why I can't attach file: Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload this type of file. RAR-archive disallowed? There is Restriction?)

Sorry, RAR files aren't included in the list of permitted uploads. Use ZIP and you should be fine.

Have you tried booting your CD version as an ISO which loads into RAM before booting? See this thread for more details: http://www.911cd.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10482 If write access during booting process is the problem this might be a solution.

GRUB4DOS supports ISO booting have you looked into it's ISO capabilities?
VV2006
Ed_P
Thank You!
Have you tried booting your CD version as an ISO which loads into RAM before booting?
Yes, I have wim-booted ISO with size ~30 MB already. This is base image for fast boot and memory saving. Folder PePrograms placed separately outside.
If write access during booting process is the problem this might be a solution.
It's right, but another point here is. I would like to find out exact Reason which caused BSoD.
This same PE succeful boot from CD. It builded with ImDisk and FBFW plugins. Read only problem not exist. It appears while boot ntldr -> hive SYSTEM placed on CD? If it really true is, then main Question here is, why?
CODE
timeout 3

title - FastPE (ntldr -> hive SYSTEM) = on protect mode (after Windows XP logo) BSoD 0x7
find --set-root /NTLDR
chainloader (cd)/NTLDR

title - FastPE (SETUPLDR.BIN -> setupreg.hiv) = boot succeful
find --set-root /I386/SETUPLDR.BIN
chainloader (cd)/I386/SETUPLDR.BIN

In first case hive SYSTEM included in it content data from setupreg.hiv + added special data to BSoD avoid and base safe mode drivers data. This is very fast and universal (for any PC) Boot Mthod.

GRUB4DOS supports ISO booting have you looked into it's ISO capabilities?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.