QUOTE (scj6771 @ Nov 10 2010, 02:22 PM)
... I simply want to configure a machine running Windows 7 Pro, add our programs, setup a default profile, Sysprep and image.
This is not my idea, I read it somewhere, and I've done it many times, and it works great:
but you have to have another working win7 installation (your main one) and do it on a new installation on another partition.
Create your own Custom Win7 DVD
These instructions are for x86 (32-Bit) Windows Install and for x64 (64-bit).
Tools you will need :
A Spare Hard Drive at least 20 gigs in size.
The Windows 7 Auto Install Kit (AIK) ( Not the Beta, IT WILL NOT WORK)
A Genuine Windows 7 RTM Key
A Windows 7 RTM x86 ISO or x64 ISO
Install x86 or x64 Ultimate or Professional to your Hard drive
When install is finished and at your desktop:
1. Activate Windows using your Product key
2. Install all your favorite Software - Activate it, and update it.
3. Change Desktop background, Folder Settings, Display Options, Mouse pointer Speed etc.
4. Reboot to make sure windows update got installed properly.
5. Open Administrative cmd, and run System File check to make sure your system files are all ok
6. Reboot back into your main Windows Installation.
7. Open administrative cmd prompt, and enter the following commands :
cd\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86 imagex /compress maximum /flags "Ultimate" /capture x: y:\install.wim "Windows 7 Ultimate"
or for x64
cd\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64 imagex /compress maximum /flags "Professional" /capture x: y:\install.wim "Windows 7 Professional"
X is the drive you just installed all your software to.
Y is where you will save your install.wim file, this generally would be c:\
"Windows 7 Ultimate" is a label for the build
The capture process starts.
Scanning of files and folders takes a couple minutes.
creation of install.wim takes another ~8 minutes
8. Open PowerISO.
Open your original Windows 7 Ultimate x86 or x64 iso folder.
Navigate to the sources folder and delete install.wim
Drag your new install.wim into the sources folder.
Save the ISO.
You Now have a Windows Install dvd, packed with all your favorite software, all your personalised settings, and its activated,for that computer only. Burn your image to dvd.