Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: unable to boot - CAD login issue
The CD Forum > The CD Forum > Bootable CDs
walt
Have unresponsive CAD login.
most online solutions advise Bart PEbuilder to edit reg. thumbsup.gif
created PE Builder disk from XP Pro upgrade, looks like build was successful
when attempting to boot from CD on affected laptop, the Bart screen appears for a split milli second, and then goes right to the CAD Window login.
I've tried both BartPE file and .iso image
any suggestions why unable to boot from disc?
thanks forum !
jaclaz
Something is not working.
Just for the record CAD means Ctrl+Alt+Del in this case. (and NOT Computer Aided Design)

IF the PE actually boots properly you will have NO login as there is NO actual "user" in a PE (it boots as "system").

There is no such thing as "I've tried both BartPE file and .iso image". dubbio.gif
You either built a .iso image and "burned it" to the CD/DVD as image or created a bootable CD/DVD using the files (HOW?).

Somehow the PE is not booting fully (but I have never seen something like you describe, it seems to me more likely that the booting fails *somehow* and that there is a "next" booting device that boots to your "old" XP).

FORGET (for the moment) about BartPE.
Build an UBCD4WIN (which actually is a "flavour" of BartPE, it uses the same pebuilder but it is easier to build for a new user AND has a number of useful tools already pre-integrated):
http://www.ubcd4win.com/

Try the CD/DVD on ANOTHER machine to verify it works, then try it on your "CAD login problem" one.
Mind you that depending on make/model of your PC, you may need to add SATA drivers in order to be able to access the internal hard disk.

jaclaz
walt
QUOTE (jaclaz @ Oct 8 2011, 01:04 PM) *
Something is not working.
Just for the record CAD means Ctrl+Alt+Del in this case. (and NOT Computer Aided Design)

IF the PE actually boots properly you will have NO login as there is NO actual "user" in a PE (it boots as "system").

There is no such thing as "I've tried both BartPE file and .iso image". :dubbio:
You either built a .iso image and "burned it" to the CD/DVD as image or created a bootable CD/DVD using the files (HOW?).

Somehow the PE is not booting fully (but I have never seen something like you describe, it seems to me more likely that the booting fails *somehow* and that there is a "next" booting device that boots to your "old" XP).

FORGET (for the moment) about BartPE.
Build an UBCD4WIN (which actually is a "flavour" of BartPE, it uses the same pebuilder but it is easier to build for a new user AND has a number of useful tools already pre-integrated):
http://www.ubcd4win.com/

Try the CD/DVD on ANOTHER machine to verify it works, then try it on your "CAD login problem" one.
Mind you that depending on make/model of your PC, you may need to add SATA drivers in order to be able to access the internal hard disk.

jaclaz

thanks for the comeback.
- I burned two discs: one with the .iso image, the other with the files.

the Bios bootable order is:
- CD/DVD
- C:
you're right, I don't know why either, but the PE is not booting then "nexts" to old XP

will try the UBCD4WIN recommendation.
If SATA drivers are required, how would I "build" them into a new PE disc?

Thanks...
jaclaz
Typically you integrate the SATA drivers before to the Source (that you later use to create the PE).

From what you describe (actually from what you completely fail to describe) you managed to build two coasters. ph34r.gif
This provides NO actual useful info:
I burned two discs: one with the .iso image, the other with the files.

HOW EXACTLY (with which program, with which settings, etc., etc.) did you attempt burning the CD/DVD? unsure.gif

Since the bootable CD/DVD doesn't actually boot, it is very probable that you managed to burn a "non-bootable" CD/DVD. wink.gif (which makes me think that you used an "improper" program - or the "right" program BUT with "improper" settings - to actually burn the .iso)

There is simply no way (if you are actually a newcomer to the world of boot CD's and of BartPE smile.gif) that you can have made a bootable CD "from the files" (as the procedure is particularly complex for beginners). frusty.gif

Burning the .iso image (if done properly) has a far better probability of success, but - not necessarily your case, mind you - most "newbies" tend to burn the .iso as a file inside the CDFS filesystem, instead of burning it "as image" (or as filesystem).

Ideally you have a .iso image created by the PE builder (saved on the hard disk as xxxxxxx.iso).

You get IMGBURN:
http://www.imgburn.com/
and you burn the image with it following this guide:
http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61

cheers.gif
jaclaz
Ed_P
PEBuilder comes with the ability to burn CDs, no separate utility is required.

If you have a PEBuilder ISO file created, start PEBuilder, verify that the Burn to CD/DVD option is selected then press F5.
walt
jaclaz
I'm thinking you maybe right about the coasters
did burn the iso image, but am using the only PC available... at work ... with generic Win CD burner. frusty.gif
will be trying all your suggestions again on new machine, and will report
thanks for your time and input

Ed
appreciate the input..
walt
Boot disc RESOLVED, but...

jaclaz, IMGBURN worked perfectly ! thumbup.gif

Booted from the UBCD4WIN disc, went to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
was able to set the CAD value to 1 to disable.
Windows boots normally, finally..

Then ran the following to clean up "cloud virus"
- FixNCR.reg
- RKill
- CCleaner
- Malwarebytes
- Combo Fix
- Avast!

** After rebooting, the laptop keyboard and touch pad no longer work,
however a USB plug-in board & mouse work fine.

--------------
The suggestion from Microsoft on non-responsive keyboardwas to use RegEdit and;
1. navigate to:
HKLM\System\Current Control Set\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
2. Double click on UpperFilters value
3. check if there is anything before or after "kbdclass" - if so, delete any data before or after that.
---------------

There is no data written before or after "kbdclass", so at least that is normal.

Drivers don't seem to be the issue either

Any suggestions ?
Thanks
jaclaz
What do you have in "Device manager"?

Find the device (if any) corresponding to your internal keyboard and touchpad or whatever and remove them and reboot.
Normally the keyboard uses a "standard driver" whilst the touchpad usually needs a driver, or, if you prefer, I have seen many laptops where the touchpad/trackpad had driver/install related issue but never saw one with non-hardware-related problems on the keyboard ph34r.gif. It depends of course on models, but a number of laptps use the PS/2 bus to connect to both the keyboard and touchpad, see also if you can find in Device Manager anything "strange" related to PS/2 dubbio.gif.

jaclaz
walt
RESOLVED !

You were right: both keyboard and touchpad used PS/2,
no flags in device manager
but uninstalled both, rebooted...and Voila !

Special toast to your help... thanks
jaclaz
Glad to have contributed to a (yet another wink.gif) happy bunny:
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...28727&st=10

smiling9.gif

cheers.gif
jaclaz
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.